Friday, August 6, 2010

That's It- Third Trimester

Early on in this pregnancy I decided I was NOT allowed to google anything.  "Does my big toe on my right foot throbbing twice every other Tuesday mean that I'm pregnant?"  I swear, you can find someone who tells you yes, indeed, that happened to her, and she was PREGNANT!  Then, once you find out you are pregnant, things work in reverse.  "Does having no morning sickness mean something is wrong?"  Yep, page after page of people saying they had no morning sickness and something was wrong.  After my first ever panic attack, I stopped using The Google.

But recently I started using it for a pretty benign question- "When does the third trimester start?"  And yet again, I got a variety of different answers.  Some say 25 weeks (37 weeks is full term, minus 12 weeks).  Some say  28 weeks (40 weeks minus 12 weeks).  Today I am 26 weeks and 6 days pregnant, and I am declaring myself to be in the third trimester.  Here's why:

  1. It appears my feet have begun to swell.  I WILL NOT let my feet grow, so I'm taking a cue from old Chinese bandaging techniques and wearing pumps every day.  I figure if I don't give them space to grow, they won't.  I might be defeated in that one.
  2. It occasionally takes me more than one attempt to get off the couch.
  3. Food that is dropped in my lap now finds a nice place to settle on the top of my stomach.
  4. I no longer sleep like a baby.  Instead I wake up because I'm being kicked, or my arm is asleep, or my leg cramps up, or I have acid reflux and need to sit up for a bit.  
  5. The doctor keeps asking me if I have signed up for babycare/birthing classes.
  6. Random strangers, who used to just gawk and wonder if I was pregnant or just fat, now just come out and ask me when I'm due.  (Huge shout out to the lady at Chuy's who told me I was the "cutest pregnant woman she has seen in a long time."  If you are going out on a limb to guess if someone is pregnant, might I suggest that one).
So there, if that doesn't make 3rd trimester, what does?  And Drew is officially due 3 months from today.  Wild.  Can't wait to meet this kid! :)

No comments: